Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Nishi Tanabe Ramen Joint

Unfortunately I can not read the sign for this ramen place, so I will just have to tell you that it is next to Gyoza no Osho and the 7/11 near the North West exit of Nishi Tanabe Station on the Mido-Suji Subway line.

It looks like this:



When we first arrived we were served by a positively surly young lass, who took one look at us and produced an English menu. It was efficient of her, but unnecessary as I could read the hiragana menu. Either way, I ordered a Chaashuu men and took in the atmosphere.

The music was slightly grating, sentimental Japanese pop, but the general ambience of the place was quite high class for a ramen joint. Clean surfaces, clean kitchen, and beautiful wooden surroundings. If the music hadn't been quite so intrusive it would have been more pleasant, but all in all, I thought it was quite a nice ramen store.




Tom ordered the miso ramen, which looked like this. It wasn't as piping hot as some ramen's I have tried, and the miso broth was very mellow. I quite enjoyed the taste of his that I had.



The toppings included long onion tops, sesame seeds, bean shoots, a square of nori and a generous amount of sliced roast pork. The pork was moist and salty, rather than sweet, which was a departure from previous ramen's I have enjoyed in a similar style.

My broth was hearty but not at all oily. It had a strong salty flavour and a good body to it. It seemed quite rich but not fatty.

The noodles were mass produced. I was a little disappointed, but they seemed to be the expensive sort of mass produced noodles, so I will rate them accordingly. They were firm to the tooth and completely acceptable, but not like some of the amazing, heavenly ramen store produced noodles I've been lucky enough to enjoy.

Among the sides were salt, soy, gyoza sauce, salad oil, white pepper, mixed spice (I love this stuff), chili paste and crushed garlic. I had a little garlic in mine, because I've had a cold recently. They also sold onigiri, and three plates of onigiri moved through the store when I was there, so I believe the onigiri may be rather good.

As we were leaving, the chef took our money and beamed at us, and my opinion of the service was instantaneously improved ten-fold. The surly teenager was slurping down her lunch noodles in the corner. You can't write off a whole place on the rudeness of one staff member.



Broth - 4/5
Toppings - 3.5/5
Noodles - 3/5
Atmosphere - 2/5
Service - 3/5

No comments: